top of page
  • Writer's pictureChuck Luce

Cape Cod Short-Term Rental Certificate and Licensing Info

All short-term rentals in Massachusetts require a certificate from the state. Most towns also require a certificate, permit, or notification of your intent to short-term rent your home. ProHost™ is happy to navigate this process with our clients. We have also provided some detailed instructions below.

Mass Tax Connect Instructions (all short-term rental homeowners in MA need this!)

  1. Visit MassTaxConnect.

  2. Click on "Sign Up".

  3. Choose "Create My Logon".

  4. If you are a MA resident, opt for "I am an individual who has previously filed taxes in the state of Massachusetts" (if you are not an MA resident, select the option that best represents your situation).

  5. Select Social Security Number as your ID type. Enter the SSN and choose "Personal Income Tax" as the account type. Proceed with the verification process.

  6. You'll be prompted to provide one of the following: A tax return amount OR, A tax refund amount from one of your past three Personal Income Tax returns.

  7. Once you've set up your account password: Click on the "More..." tab, and select "Add an Account" to register for the Room Occupancy Consolidated tax type.

  8. When asked for a start (or "effective") date, use the current date. It doesn’t matter if you won’t be renting right away.

  9. Shortly after completing this process, you should receive a certificate and certificate number in the messages section on the site. If you are working with ProHost™, please download, save, and send the certificate to us (email is fine, not sensitive data).

Falmouth homeowners must apply and pay for a short term rental permit here:

Residents of other Cape Cod towns and villages may also need to apply and pay for for permits.

We are happy to help our clients in this process!

If you are not a ProHost™ client, feel free to drop us an email or text and we can point you in the right direction :)



bottom of page